Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Out Of His Shell

Eli has always been a little shy. Once he gets to know you, he's all smiles and jokes, but in 'big' social situations or new surroundings, he definitely clams up. While I know he's had fun at camp this week, I wasn't getting the feeling that he was meeting any new friends. Even though Maddux wasn't able to name names, I knew she was doing just fine with her co-campers. (She is what we call an "extrovert".) But Eli is a little slower to warm up because he is rarely the one to make the first move. While Maddie will go up to anyone and start talking, Eli usually waits to be approached. And it didn't seem like he was connecting with anyone at camp because he hadn't been 'approached' yet.

Today I picked the kids up and Eli came running out to me, grinning from ear to ear. "MOMMYMOMMYMOMMYMOMMY!!" After a quick embrace he started talking like crazy. Then Mad Dog came out and she was jabbering at the same speed. In all of that, I was trying to sign them out, collect their lunches, find their towels, and instruct Maddux to put her shoes on. At some point, Eli tapped my shoulder and said, "Mommy, can I go say good-bye to my friends?"

Whoh. What? Even when Eli is with his friends, rarely does he leave them, and then ASK to go back to properly say good-bye. He's just not that kid. And if he DOES want to go say 'hi' or 'bye' to someone, he almost always requests a chaperon in the way of Maddux or myself. Eli doesn't like to go into unknown places by himself. And he doesn't know the YMCA that well, especially the area we were in.

Of course I told him he could. His new friend is not his age (he's maybe 10-12?), but he's not a full-on counselor either. Eli tells me his name is 'Dumpster' and he is a "silly silly SILLY goose". Too funny. Eli was full of many stories today about his friend and the fun they had. So even if Eli didn't approach him, and even if he's not his age, Eli made huge strides today in the social department. Life is good.

No comments: