Saturday, July 03, 2010

Three Whole Years

Total disbelief and denial. How in the world has it been three years already? And yet I can barely remember our family without you, Maddux.

You challenge me everyday. And I'm not just talking about the area of discipline. I struggle to stay one step ahead of you in everything, including wit. No matter what the situation, you turn it silly, and often in a very mature or thoughtful way. (Not just silly jokes for kids.) And you don't seem to know how to do anything other than smile. In the last year you were very sick a few times and the dead giveaway was that we couldn't get you to smile. It was totally out of character for you.And you're loud. Mostly in personality. It is impossible for people to ignore you because you engage everyone you meet. You make eye contact, 'lift' their eyes with your eyes, and smile and giggle until they join you in whatever inside joke you are sharing. You make friends everywhere you go, with everyone you meet. It doesn't matter if they are an 82-year-old grandmother or a 12-year-old boy, you charm them.

Mad Dog, you live up to your nickname each and every day. If you're not singing at the top of your lungs, you're dancing around to a song in your head. And if you're not crawling on the ground like a dog or a bear, you're hopping up and down. You spend a lot of time living by your rules, which I love. However, since I'm the mom, I have to squash that independance at times and you end up in a lot (a LOT) of time outs. You are constantly performing song, or dance, or a comedy act, or all three. I have no doubt you'll be in show business someday, perhaps as an SNL actor, a la Molly Shannon.

You and your brother are at a fun, fun stage right now. You argue about ridiculous things like who is looking at who(m?), but you also have each other's back in many ways. You are always concerned about Eli and his happiness, and he often wants you as his playmate above others. You guys have funny little words that trigger you, and when you play together you play sooo well together.
I know the last month has been hard, and I know my limited patience is rarely used on you, but please know that I love you with every piece of me. You brighten my day every day, and my life would be so boring without you, Mad Dog! Happy Birthday!!
2007:
2008:2009:2010:

No comments: