Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Crash!

So Maddux and I were rear-ended tonight. After we left the pool in our neighborhood and started our new commute 'home', we were at a dead-stop behind two cars waiting to turn left. An SUV was approaching VERY fast behind me, so I tapped my breaks several times to try to get their attention that we were stopped, and just as I turned my wheels to try to pull out of the way, BAM, she crashed into us. We were on a two-lane road, so she pushed us into oncoming traffic, which was fortunately light enough that we didn't collide with anyone else. And the even better news is that there was a small street just past where she hit us that I could swerve onto to avoid the traffic that was approaching. Thankfully no one was hurt and we were the only two cars involved (because I'd turned my wheels, I totally missed the car in front of me). Lehr and Eli were less than a mile away in another car, so they came right away.

After all was said and done, I drove the two kids 'home' in the civic while Lehr took the RL to try to get a rental (negative at that time of night). The whole ride home they peppered me with questions. The last accident in our family was the same scenario: dead stop and someone rear-ended us. Last time was over two years ago and it was Lehr and Eli at a red light, with the same car (RL). (That car is a tank and these two wrecks have proved to me again how safe we are in them. The trunk crunched up, but the rest of the car remained fine, and we were all fine.) Anyway, Eli kept reminding me about the car wreck he was in and how is was similar, but different (he loves the word 'similar'). Eli then reminded us that we were in another 'wreck' just a few weeks ago. I'd forgotten since it was no more than a tap and there was no damage to us, but of course Eli remembered it.

Maddux's questioning had more to do with how we'd fix it. She asked, "Mommy, are you going to fix it? Is Daddy going to?" I told her that we didn't know how, so a mechanic would do it for us. She said, "OK.", and then added, "Jesus could fix it for us."

No comments: