Saturday, June 05, 2010

The 'Hawk

Eli has been asking for a 'number two' for about a month. When I cut Lehr's hair, we use a 'number two' on the clipper. And since Eli wants nothing more than to be just like Daddy, he's been begging for the same haircut. Lehr and I were very hesitant as the last time we gave him a summer cut it took close to nine months to grow out again. And his 'drummer hair' has taken quite a cute shape lately. Nevertheless, we decided to bargain with him. If he wanted a buzz cut, he'd have to do a mohawk for a week first (to give it a shot). We reached a compromise!

Our week has been spent packing like maniacs, but we took a quick break right before dinner to fulfill Eli's wish. We went on the back porch and I started buzzing away. SO much soft, curly brown hair ended up on my deck... Lehr told him that we should have saved it all to give to another kid (like for Locks of Love), even though we knew it wasn't really enough hair. In response, Eli told us, "I could give it to Gramma Caffee." I can only assume that was triggered by her comments to him about how much she wishes she had his hair.

When we finished, we had a very thick, very heavy mohawk. Eli liked it, but even with gel and blow-drying, it wouldn't stand up. Lehr trimmed the long parts again to cut down on the weight. Eli says he likes it, but he also asked me right away, "How many more days do I have before a number two?"

No comments: