Thursday, May 20, 2010

My Son, The Graduate

Wow. Such a big day for such a little guy! Eli's preschool graduation ceremony took place yesterday. We sent in one of Lehr's white dress shirts and planned to arrive in enough time to get a good seat. (Luckily, with only about ten kids in the class, that wasn't too hard.) Eli and his friends all had paper graduation caps on, to match their shirts, and they marched into the sanctuary to a seat marked with their name. The preschool director spoke first, getting choked up, which of course got me all teary eyed.....

It was at that point that it hit me that this was the place I've trusted with Eli and his first experience of school. I came to this school when I was pregnant with Maddux, looking for a place that would expose Eli to sharing, manners, and hopefully colors and numbers. And I found a home. I immediately felt right about sending him to John Knox...one of those gut feelings you hear so much about. He went two days/week when he was two, three days/week when he was three, and then a four/five days/week schedule this last year. He's had amazing teachers, and he was incredibly lucky to have the same two teachers this year that he had when he was two. Eli has learned so much, come so far, and been so loved at John Knox.

Back to the program as I wiped away tears.... Eli's class grabbed hands and sang "The More We Get Together...The Happier We'll Be". It was sweet with a capital 'awww'. Then Ms. Jane (his main teacher) spoke briefly, reminding me why I love her so much. Finally it was time for diplomas. One by one, the students were called to the director to receive a paper diploma. From there they made their way to Ms. Jane and Ms. Shanda to give and receive hugs. More tears for me. As hard a time as I know Eli gave them some days, they love him. There was never a doubt in my mind about their commitment to my son, and I know he touched a place in their hearts with his happy-go-lucky demeanor and huge smile (even if/when he disobeyed). I cannot stress enough how amazing these teachers have been for Eli, and to be privileged enough to have them teach Eli twice...we were blessed.

Finally the kids received glow sticks and they sang "This Little Light Of Mine". Good stuff. We all filed out of the sanctuary to get cake and play in the courtyard. The day was finished with the release of the class butterflies. (The name of the class this year was 'Butterflies', and they'd been cocooning in a mesh cage for the last few weeks.) A few pictures later and we were on our way to lunch. Eli didn't seem phased by the experience at all, but even as we approached our car, I was reminded again how great the school is. We saw Maddux's teacher (Ms. Sue) and she grabbed Maddie and gave her a big big hug. She mentioned how disappointed she was that Mad Dog wouldn't be returning next year and I know she really meant it. These teachers genuinely care about the students.

I know...it sounds like I'm being paid to give a review of the school or something, but it's just how I feel. We have chosen a different place for Maddux next year, and as solid as I am in that decision, I will really really miss John Knox.

2010 05 Eli Graduation from Nicole Eliason on Vimeo.

No comments: