Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My Baby's All Grown Up!

This morning Eli and I went to his soon-to-be Elementary School for a screening (to place him in a class for next year) and for a 'sneak-a-peak' tour. We dropped Maddux off at school and raced to get to Eli's appointment, which was scheduled five minutes after Maddie's school opens up. (Still not sure how we made it, especially considering the parking lot was so full that people were parked on curbs and grass areas.)

As soon as we walked in, one of the women assisting with the flow of traffic took Eli for his screening; she was ready for him! I went into the media center to learn more about what is to come next year. Maybe twenty minutes later, Eli returned to me, but at that point, all of the other kids had already started their classroom tours (without parents), so this kind woman took him to join the rest of the kids. The parents finished up and went to retrieve said children. From there, our group took a tour of a real school bus. Eli loved it, but was disappointed that we weren't actually riding in it today. At that point, he started to get a little weepy about missing his 'real' school, so I decided to pull the plug and get him back to his class. I figured he was a bit overwhelmed with everything since we'd been there for 90-minutes already.

As we were walking to our car, Eli's friend, Jack, pulled up. His mom offered to take Eli to school as well (they're in the same class), which Eli LOVED. The unfortunate outcome was both boys ending up with less-than-great behavior reports due to 'wrestling' with each other at school. I LOVE that Eli has a friend in the neighborhood that he likes so much; hopefully he can learn to channel his excitement in a more productive behavior soon.

Back to the school....I'd be lying if I said I didn't get choked up a few times as they talked about what Eli would be doing next year. How HOW is it possible that my little boy will be getting on a bus, working on a computer, and solving written math problems so soon?!?

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I hear ya! My baby girl will be starting in August too. Can't believe my YOUNGEST will be in Kindergarten!!!