Monday, May 10, 2010

Maddux Update

I took Maddux with me on some errands this morning. One of those was to Harry's to get some groceries. She knows that they have 'shopper-in-training' carts for little kids to push. I've never let her do it, but Lehr once had a lapse in judgement and did. She normally does not show anywhere near the self-control (or cart-control) for this privilege, so my gut reaction was 'no'. However I am trying to be more positive with Mad Dog these days, as I feel "NO" is what she hears a lot in her life. We were at Target when she asked, so I told her if she stayed in the seat at Target the WHOLE time (instead of changing positions every few minutes, almost falling to a hospital trip each time), and if she left the hair clip IN her hair, we would discuss it further. The girl was an angel in the store, so when we got to Harry's I let her have a cart. We had a quick discussion about the rules and how if any of them were broken, she'd move to a seat in the big cart. Then we were on our way! Since I didn't need to get too much, I didn't even bother getting my own cart. That girl was so conscientious about the rules! She was careful to not run into anyone or anything. She stopped the second I told her to (or if she noticed herself too far ahead of me), and when the cart accidentally tipped, she showed real remorse. So proud of her!

Maddux is in love with diapering her dolls. She is forever asking 'Why babies wear diapers, mommy?' It's amazing how quickly she forgets that she too wore diapers, not more than six months ago! Yesterday I even caught her trying to put the diaper on herself over her jeans....

One of our errands today was to Target. When I planted flowers several weeks back, the kids wanted to help water them. Somehow all of the watering cans we've bought for them over the years are missing. So we strolled the isles at Target for some new ones (specifically the dollar isle). As SOON as I found one and handed it to Maddux, she quickly turned her attention back to the shelves and said, "Kin we get one for Eli?" I praised her for being so considerate of her brother. She said, "Yah. Cuz I looove my bruder."

Mad Dog's newest phrase is: "Hey-know-what?", said all as one word, like "heyknowwhat?" I was tyring to figure out where she picked that up until Eli got in the car after school today. The first thing he said is, "Hey, Mommy, you know what?"

No comments: