Saturday, May 01, 2010

Bootleg Bootcamp: Family Day

This morning we all got to participate in a family boot camp day for once. (I decided to participate instead of taking pictures, so unless/until any of the other moms send pics, I have no proof!) I used to take the kids to the park all of the time to run some fun 'drills', and Eli will run through some obstacle courses I set up when I clean the cones. But we've never done a full 'workout' with other friends. A group of us that workout each morning gathered to let the kids in on the fun their parents have before the sun comes up each day. I think we had close to thirty kids! The adults mostly focused on getting the kids through the drills, but most of us got a few burpees and dips in as well.

The first drill was splitting the kids up into four teams to (one at a time) push a big fire truck to the bat, spin around the bat three times, and then push an exercise ball to the other line. Repeat, repeat. The main thing I learned was that kids get much less dizzy than (drunk?) adults when they do the bat-drill. Next we did some bear crawls and crab walks, with some jumping jacks in between. Maddie ended up riding on my stomach for the crab crawls. Finally we did some suicides with sprints, lunges, skips, and bounds. Good times. After we finished, most of us ended up at a nearby IHOP...the kids ate their weight in white carbs to make up for the calories they'd expended. Good times :)

No comments: