Monday, May 11, 2009

That's My Funday

Whirlwind! Monday in a nutshell.

After a crazy weekend ending in a not-so-great Mother's Day, I was very glad to start fresh this morning. (I don't feel up to blogging about yesterday. I had to leave church to take Eli home because of discipline issues...something we've never had to do before. Let's leave it at that.) However, Eli woke up in the same funk he went to bed in. He had school this morning, and I planned on letting him go to 'lunch bunch' afterwards. He's never gone before, but I know he wanted to. Since Eli was in such a bad mood, I didn't even make a lunch because I knew there was no way I could send him to the special 'after-school'. Lucky for me, Eli did his very typical turn-around before breakfast and he returned to his usual jolly self. I told him he could go to LB and he got all excited. He told me who was going to be there and how he wanted to share lunch with a few of them. (He's never been, so it was interesting to hear what he thought went on at lunch bunch.) I packed a quick lunch and off we went.

Maddie and I ran to the gym and then headed downtown to meet Daddy. For quite some time now we've been trying to find time to do a photo shoot with Maddux. My parents gave me a coat and hat that I wore as a little girl, dry cleaned and in perfect condition. They have a great picture of me as a toddler (just older than Maddux is now), wearing the combo outside of a church. I tried desperately to replicate the photography, but couldn't do it. Maddux is grabbing her hat, as I was in the picture, and we're both wearing the same thing, but the lighting and setting differed a bunch. Oh well! Maddie had a blast though. She got all giddy when we picked up Daddy outside of his office. She kept saying "Daddy. Mommy." from the backseat with a goofy grin on her face. She KNEW something special was happening. That girl is a smart cookie. Yesterday when Eli was in such a bad place, meaning his 'tude and by his consequences, Maddux was a gem. She totally knew something was up and she was the perfect child almost all day.

In regards to the two of them, it is rare these days for me to take Eli and Maddux out together and have someone talk to us that DOESN'T ask if they're twins. It seriously happens no less than once each week now. And today they got along so well. After naps, the two of them played in the back yard and deck while I made dinner. Eli was so excited to have Maddie play basket-ball with him. I heard her shoot and then he hollered, "Maddie, you MADE it!" He was beyond words. "Do you want to try to do it again?" I was beyond words. And they are both so great about giving hugs and kisses to each other, especially during apologies. It melts my heart when I see them embrace as Eli kisses the top of her head. Life is good.

No comments: