Friday, May 22, 2009

Day At The Zoo

Since today was the last day of Cobb County schools, I decided to take the kids to the zoo before it got crowded with summer-goers. The kids were pretty good and obeyed much better than they have in recent days, so Mommy was happy. The first stop is always the flamingos, and the kids' personalities were played out right off the bat. I let the kids out of the stroller to walk up and see the birds closer. There was already a crowd of spectators, so Eli hung back and asked me to go up with him. Maddux, on the other hand, went right up and wormed her way in for a good spot. She didn't look back to check on me until I called her name for a picture. This is the reason we 'lose' Maddie from time to time, but not Eli. (She went missing for a few minutes today too....surprise, surprise.)

We got to met up with some friends from the neighborhood for part of our visit. Eli had a blast hanging out with the other kids. Of course, the statues of animals were more impressive to the kids than the real animals that were actually breathing. And getting a panda stamp was more important than actually seeing the pandas. But such is life. We also stopped in the Parakeet exhibit before we left. In this new birdhouse you walk through an open cage where some 300 parakeets are flying around. Eli and Maddie loved it. A trip to the pet shop would have been cheaper.

Here are a few funnies from the kids this week:
  • "Mom, did you know I could jump through hoops?" Eli and Maddux got another shipment of toys and books from Aunt Linda and Uncle Darol this week. Included were three pool rings (almost hula hoop size). Before naps today, Eli was playing with one and asked the above question. Ha ha.
  • "OH! Appy - Dey!" Maddux is singing along to songs and saying more and more words every day. Her two favorite songs are "I Never Go To Work" (she sings "Oh Nooooooo. Oh Noooooooo!") and "Happy Day" by Fee. She loves loves Happy Day and will sing "OH! Appy-Dey. OH! Appy-Dey." on and off all day. I would love to get some video, but you know how kids do not perform on command.
  • "I-ana-do-wit." I'm a little less excited about this one. Maddux is already independant enough, and now she's gone and learned how to say "I want to do it." In her own way, of course.
  • Last but not least: "Cooz me." Maddux is a belcher. Has been since she was born. She is learning her manners though. The other day I had the kids sitting at the table after a meal, in self-control. Washing dishes, I had my back turned and I heard a huge burp. I turned around to see Maddux, sitting nice and pretty with her hands folded. She very nicely said, "Cooz me."

No comments: