Saturday, December 20, 2008

Eli-isms

The past few weeks have made me pine for a blackberry or iPhone. Not for the bling-bling aspect, but for the record-keeping it would have allowed me. Every day Eli has said something on the way to school, home from school, during a trip to Publix, and again while we drove to a friends house....several 'ha-ha's' each day. My memory is not the greatest, so such a device would have helped me remember each and every one of the cute things that came out of his mouth. Unfortunately, these are the only ones I can remember, but they're good ones, nonetheless:

- I put Eli down for his nap mid-week after we read a book together in his bed. I was particularly sleepy that day, so I half-joked with Eli, "Can I sleep in here with you during your nap?" Of course my sweet boy said, 'yes' and snuggled up next to me. Less than a minute later, Eli said, "Can you sleep by yourself now mommy?" I guess that was his polite way of saying, "You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here." Just another reminder of the solo sleeper he is and always has been.

- I had my bi-monthly MOPS meeting at church this week, which means Eli and Maddux were in their respective classes for two hours. As we walked out of church, Eli held my hand and said, "Mommy, guess what I was thinking while I was at church?" Hmm...that could be a loaded question or a great insight into the ever-evolving mind of my big boy. "What were you thinking about, Eli?", I asked. "We should have pasta for lunch. Dat would be really yummy." I stopped right there, laughed and hugged him. Such simple things make him happy these days, and I love that his main concern in life was what we were having for lunch that day.

- Several times in the last month we've talked about the Christmas story. The manger, the angel, the wise men, and, of course, Jesus. This has caused Eli a little bit of confusion. Almost every time we talk about the manger, or Jesus being born to Mary, Eli asks, "Is that the big Jesus or the baby Jesus?"

- Speaking of the Christmas story and it's details, Eli is very good at re-telling how the wise men came to see Jesus. He knows a star guided them to the Jesus and he knows (three) Wise Men brought gifts. He usually forgets gold, but he always remembers frankincense (which he pronounces perfectly), and MUHHHRRRRRR!

- My favorite moment from two weeks ago was something that played out as I worked on the computer. Eli and Maddux were playing with their toys upstairs while I typed. All of the sudden I heard Eli playing his guitar. Then I heard a small whisper from Eli: "Maddie, play gently, like this. You wanna play guitar wiff me?? Come over here....sit down and I show you how." I turned slightly, as to not disrupt the awesome moment between them. Maddux reached out and strummed (somewhat gently) as Eli guided her hands (also somewhat gently). It was magical.....no yelling, neither of them saying, "NO!"....just pure sharing.

No comments: