Friday, December 26, 2008

Boys' Night Out

I feel like so much of these "my-kids-love-each-other-today-and-I-need-to-tell-the-world" posts have so many similarities: sometime I could probably just cut and paste. But each instance is so unique and different, and 99% of them are unprompted, so I'm going to keep with the theme.

Lehr and Eli have been trying to take a short camping trip for a few months now. Weather or schedules always got in the way, and sometime in late November, Lehr resigned himself to the trip waiting for spring. (November in Atlanta saw many days with 19-degree temperatures.) With Christmas came some warmer weather though, and since Lehr was off of work, he decided to take advantage and head to the mountain today. Lehr woke Eli up from his nap around 3:30 and the two drove to Red Top, which is very close and very well-traveled. From the two phone calls I've had, it appears they arrived in time to set up camp and still hike down to the lake. They had a dinner of Mac'n'Cheese, candy canes, and water. Then they read books and turned out the lights (except Eli's special McQueen flashlight that Daddy bought special for this trip). I called at 7:30, as Maddux was taking a bath, to say 'good-night'. Eli got on the phone and talked to me for about 30-seconds before he asked, "Is that Maddie?" when she squealed in the background. "Kin I talk to her?" I put the phone on speaker and told Maddux that Eli wanted to say 'hi'.

"Hey, Maddie! How are you? Whatchu doin?"

She definitely recognized his voice, but her end of the conversation sounded like, "Wahhh. Bleee blooo. Whoooo-AHHHH!"

"K, Maddie. See you way-ter. I wuv you."

I talked with Eli for a few minutes about what he ate and what he saw. Then, towards the end of the call he said, "I wanna talk to Maddux again. "
Again with the speaker phone and Maddie's nonsensical vocals.

"Hi, baby sisser!! Whatchu doin?" "I reading books now. Good night."

Life is good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It this doesn't just melt your heart! Oh my goodness....
Thank you for the warm feeling I got when I read the post and saw the photo.