Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Mad Dog & Mommy

The game was rained out, but originally, the plan was for Eli and Lehr to be downtown watching the Cubs beat up on the Braves tonight. Maddie and I didn't have anything major planned, but I did want to spend some quality time with her since we don't get a whole lot of one-on-one. Two things I wanted to tackle also were blanket time and eating with a utensil. Maddie used to do blanket time at the same time as Eli, but since she started walking, she's forgotten the 'rules', and it has become all too frustrating for me to deal with that while Eli is doing his time also. (It riles him up when she gets on and off the blanket.) So tonight I set up the blanket with a few toys and set the timer for five minutes. I had to put her back on ten times or so, but honestly I consider it a success. First of all, when I pulled the blanket out and spread it on the floor, she walked over to it and sat down. Amazing memory considering it's been over a month since I've even attempted this 'skill'. When she was on the blanket, she was totally into the toys and she seemed to understand that it was where she was supposed to stay. Her journeys off of the blanket were just a game for her to have me chase her.

The other thing I worked on was eating with a utensil. I started introducing Maddux to a spoon a while back, but she is a flinger, and with carpet all over downstairs, that was just not flying. (Pun intended.) Recently I've given her the spoon again, just to get used to the motion of scooping at bringing it to her mouth. Instead of yogurt or applesauce though, I've let her practice with dry Cheerios. Tonight we used a fork with some edamame. She did REALLY well and grasped the concept immediately. I'm sure it doesn't hurt that she gets to watch Eli eat every day, providing a great example for her. (Video of him eating with a fork can be found here.)

An unexpected milestone for tonight happened at dinner. I was working with Maddux's signs while she ate and she reproduced a few new ones for me, correctly! She reached for milk and then squeezed her fist together. Then I showed her how to say 'thank you' after I gave her a bite of food and she duplicated immediately (a few times later in the meal also). Finally, she signed 'more' to me. She has done this before, but she rarely signs it, so I thought I'd count it as a new one.

The rest of the evening was spent playing with toys, chasing Maddux around while she laughed hysterically, and reading. Maddux LOVES to read. While I was getting pj's and clothes for tomorrow set out, Maddie walked over to her bookshelf and plopped down in front of it. She proceeded to take books off the shelf, one at a time, and 'read' them. Then she'd place the book to the side and reach for another. I think I watched her do this for a solid seven minutes before she noticed me staring. I love that she does this...as she does this every day. She's going to be a book worm like Mommy!!

No comments: