Thursday, August 21, 2008

Three Already???

How time flies. It is hard to believe that three years ago right now I was close to a c-section. It is hard to believe that three years ago right you were still in my belly. It is hard to believe that three years ago right now I didn't yet know you. It is hard to believe that three years ago right now I had no idea how amazing my life was about to get...

Three years. As difficult as it is for me to believe that my baby is now a full-grown 'big boy', so many wonderful things have happened in the last three years, so many awesome memories, that it's also difficult to believe that it's only been three years. How blessed have we been to have experienced all that we have in such a short time!

In the last three years you have gone from being 100% dependent on Daddy and me for food, clothes, transportation, and entertainment to being almost 100% independent in those areas. You love to get water for yourself and climb into your chair for meals, and you eat as much as I do at each meal. (And that is saying a lot!!) You don't quite dress yourself, but you can undress certain items of clothing, and you are very enamoured with your Cubs shirt, your drum shirt, your Vans (skateboard shoes) and your Crocs. Not only do you walk on your own, never needing to be carried by me, you run. Always. Very fast. I swear you'll be a track-star some day. You can't quite ride your bike, but you'll master the pedals very soon, I'm sure. And you are never short on entertainment. You often bring your toys into the kitchen while I cook so you can be near me (which melts my heart), but you are also just as fine to go into the backyard and mow or play golf instead. And instead of blanket time, you have graduated to room time (still with a blanket though). You play independently and very quietly in your room for up to 40 minutes now. Amazing.

In the last three years your special feet have gone from a severe case of twisted and turned clubfeet to the straightest, most perfect appendages you could hope for. The doctors are totally impressed and they say that except for the small scars you have from your tenotomy, you can't tell that you ever had an issue with your feet. To see you run and jump and play so freely and successfully makes me happier than you could know.

In the last three years you've gone from not talking at all to talking non-stop. You've definitely entered the question phase, though we're not quite to the "Why, Mommy?" section yet. (Thank God!) You chatter to me and your sister all day long about anything and everything, and you love to say to me, "Let's talk bout it, Mommy." Then when your Daddy gets home from work, you fill his ears the same way.

Eli, you light my life in so many ways each and every day. You will forever be my baby, my first-born, the one who made me a Mommy. I love you through and through, and then some more after that. All the way up to the firecrackers, all the way down to the swimming pool drain. All the time. Even when you're playing baseball. Happy Birthday, Little Man. You are my sunshine.

Mere Minutes Old:

One Year:
Two Years:
Three Years:

10 comments:

SmallvilleMom said...

Happy Birthday Eli! We miss ya!

Anonymous said...

So did you cry typing this? I would have....What a sweet boy he is! Can't wait to play with him next month!

Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday, Eli!

Anonymous said...

Aww that was so sweet Nicole. Happy Birthday Eli.

Amy

Karin said...

Nicole, you must be so proud - he is just as handsome as ever, and sounds like such an amazing kiddo. Happy birthday, Eli!!

Anonymous said...

Happy 3rd Birthday Eli!! P.S. I love the 1 year picture that little smile (hehe)

Heather said...

Happy Birthday Eli! Can't believe he is 3 already ... though I can't believe mine is almost 4!

Mir said...

Happy birthday, Eli!!

D. Roberts said...

Happy Birthday, Eli! I hope you had a great day!

Anonymous said...

hello, i'm french so, first, sorry for my bad english...
i didn't now you, but you can not imagine how you helped me when i was pregnant.... my little boy, Quentin, almost 3 month today, as born with the same feet than eli...
on google, i tape "pied bot" , french name for this feet, and i found your video of eli on u tube... i changes my life and gave me hope and joy...
when i feel sad, i watch this video again, and i smile...
and when i read your blog, all your life with eli, i cry, i smile et it's give me hope.........
thank you for that ........ Jessie