Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Yuk Yuk Yuk

Eli provided me with a few more gems this week:

For a few months now I've been trying to teach Eli the reasons behind some of the good choices I want him to make. For example, not spilling his water glass on purpose or not leaving toys in the middle of the floor. As far as he's concerned, those two offenses aren't bad because we can always get more water, and the toys are right where he can see them. The catch phrase we use around here is "That's not respecting the preciousness of others." (I then go on to explain that someone else has to clean up the water and someone might trip over his toys.) The other day when Eli purposely knocked over towels I'd just folded and stacked, I said, "Eli, that's not respecting the...and I waited for him to fill in the blank. He responded with "pressures of udders."

About a month back I purchased four place mats for Eli to use at the breakfast table: the alphabet, numbers 1-10, musical instruments and a map of the United States. Last night we pointed out all of the cities/states Eli had links to. Then he asked where everyone lived. After three or four, he ended up asking about all of his friends who live within 20 miles of our house. That answer got old quick as we kept pointing to "Atlanta". This morning he threw me a curve ball. He said, "Mommy, show me where God live?"

Eli hasn't been afraid of much in his short life, but every once in a while a loud noise will throw him for a loop. And for some reason he thinks there are bears in the house and he is scared of them. Yesterday I reminded him that he doesn't need to be scared, even when he's alone in his room at night because God is always there with him. Before he went to be Eli told me, "Not be scared. God be with me. He texts me." I guess God has the new iPhone? I know Eli was trying to tell me that God protects him, but his interpretation of what I tell him leaves some room for confusion.

2 comments:

Stephan & Mary said...

That's too cute! Caleb has this fear/worry about lions in our house. We've had nearly the same conversations. Though I don't think God has ever texted Caleb.

bev said...

Those were great LOL!