Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Feets Are Good!

Eli had his annual foot check up this morning. Both kids were up before 8AM which is SO strange for them; they had a surprisingly good morning even with the early wake-up call. Eli and Maddux had a blast in the playroom before the nurse called us back to our room. I read the 'rules' while they played and I was so happy to see the side note: "Don't worry about the noise:this is a pediatrics office. If your kids are happy, we are happy."

Dr. Schrader had a few med students with him, so he did a lot of pushing and pointing with Eli's feet to show what to look for and what the feet have done in the past. Eli didn't mind at all though; last night I was sure to show Eli exactly what the doctor was going to do (so he didn't get scared). After Dr. Schrader left our room, Eli asked, "He all done???"

I love love love how much the kids play together now. Even though I know they aren't even really playing together yet, it warms my heart to see them both have some imagination and play skills that have nothing to do with me. Maddux's favorite thing to do these days is tote things all over the house. She'll carry the strainer into the dining room where she finds the train. Then she pushes the train to the kitchen, where she finds a book. She carries that back to the playroom where she finds a piece of pretend food. And the cycle continues.

My favorite moment today came when the three of us were rocking out in the living room after lunch. It was one of those moments every parent has: you can't help but laugh at the cuteness of the situation even though it contains some 'wrong' behavior. I walked out of the room for a minute to grab a diaper for Maddux. Almost immediately I heard the volume on the stereo get louder, then softer, then louder again. I knew it was Maddux right away as she is VERY interested in the receiver knob these days (a big no-no in our house). I ran back in to find Eli giggling, but telling her 'no', and Maddux in front of the receiver. As soon as I called her name, she turned her head, hand still on the knob turning back and forth, and her knees were bending up and down in a jig while she bobbed her head and grinned from ear to ear. I don't think I've ever wished for a video camera more than I did in that moment. It was awesomely precious (even though she was disobeying). I turned my back and laughed a few seconds before I removed her from her post. Life is good.

1 comment:

Desiree Blake said...

Your kids are adorable :]