Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Ups & Downs

Yesterday I took Eli to his weekly Mothers' Morning Out program for a few hours. After our last visit, I worried he might not be too thrilled, but I know it'll get better eventually, so I packed him up (after a great morning) and off we went. The poor child started to cry as soon as we walked through the church doors. I thought a few times about turning around and going back home; would that teach him that I love him enough to listen to him when he is unhappy, or would it teach him that all he has to do to get his way is whimper? Ahh...back and forth back and forth. He settled down a little and we proceeded back to his classroom. He stuck to my side like glue as I tried to get him interested in the other kids and the other toys. After about ten minutes I attempted my escape but he caught my eye before I even made it to the door. Eli gave me his best so-sad-and-lonely face and cry, but after one more hug I walked out. Just like before, I hung out around the corner until I heard him settle down. It only took one minute this time, which made me feel much better. When I picked him up, however, the director told me he cried off and on the whole time. She thought maybe he had some stomach issues due to the crying and a little gas. Not that I don't give her any credit for trying, but he was 100% fine with me the rest of the day, so I'm thinking it was just a case of missing-mommy-blues. I know kids go through these phases, but considering how well he's done in the church nursery for a full year now, and at this program for a few months, it surprises me that he's all of the sudden so insecure about me leaving.

On a very positive note, Eli's second swim lesson went extremely well today. I was so excited when we left because I know Eli enjoyed every second of it today. Instead of putting him right next to the slide like last time, I moved him closer to the lap pool and it seemed to work. He 'jumped' in for me a few dozen times, which he really seemed to get a kick out of. The rest of the class he kicked and splashed and 'swam' as much as he could. Before we started, he had a blast walking in the knee-waist deep water. He thought it was quite funny when he tried to run, which caused him to fall and 'crawl' in the water.

One thing I've noticed over the last few weeks, especially since Eli started walking, is how much I am loving this new 'stage' he is in. The clinginess and toddler-tude aren't always preferable, but his new personality and independence are so much fun to watch! Last night after dinner Lehr and I witnessed Eli dancing for quite some time while we cleaned the dishes. We had the stereo on and he was over by the speakers, shaking his hands, bobbing his head, and spinning in circles. Happiness comes cheap these days....especially with 80's music in the background!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My little guy has been doing the very same separation thing when I go to school these days. Its so hard when they do that.

Anonymous said...

Ah, cute! The kid's got moves.

Thanks for stopping by my site today.

Anonymous said...

That is BEYOND adorable dancing! And look at him go on his two sturdy feet!