Monday, January 15, 2007

Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde

I've used this reference when describing Eli's behavior (AKA his toddler-tude) in the last few months, but this time I'm talking about his security/insecurity. If Lehr or I are anywhere within sight or earshot, this kid is a daredevil who couldn't care less if Mom or Dad are present. He will walk into crowds of people, he will climb up unknown stairs, he will run around until he is lost (at least where we can't see him).....it's nuts! And when he's walking he will NOT hold our hand. However, for the last few weeks when I drop him off at church or Mothers' Morning Out or MOPS, the insecurity sets in and he clings to me like he'll never see me again. Yesterday I literally had to peel Eli off of my chest to give him to the nursery worker (who he knows very well and loves). Yet when I picked him up after church and walked into the huge open reception area, he ran off and never once looked back to see if I was still there. Crazy!

Eli's swim lesson today was a little more tough because Daddy came along to watch. This made Eli want to get out of the water and play, but he still managed to have some fun between reaching for Lehr. Before class started Eli spent a few minutes running in the shallow water, as he usually does. But because Lehr was on the sidelines, he would run in the water and then out, causing him to fall on the slick poolside surface. He never hurt himself (which is shocking considering the amount of concrete present and the fact that he landed on his back/head several times), but he did seem surprised when his feet went out from under him. After the class, the instructor turned on 'the jets' and there were a few fountain-ish water displays for Eli and Tyler to play in. They both seemed pretty weary of actually touching them, but I did get Eli to try once as long as he sat on my lap.

3 comments:

Mel said...

Cute cute boy!

Anonymous said...

Your little guy is SO BEAUTIFUL. Awwww.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you got my previous comment... But your little man is SO BEAUTIFUL!