Thursday, January 18, 2007

One Day At A Time...

So this morning I brought Eli to Mothers' Morning Out and even though I talked it up to him all morning and in the car, I was very worried he'd be upset (as per the last month) because the whole time we were in the car, he was SO wide-eyed and tense....like he totally knew what was about to happen. Sure enough, we get to the door of the church and he starts to cry. They didn't have to pry him out of my arms this time, but he still wasn't happy about me leaving. I mentioned to the woman in charge that Eli will be turning 17-months over the weekend, and maybe a change of scenery would help. (They're next room up starts at 17-months.) When I went to pick him up, he was in the new toddler room and they said he was crying a little at first, but once they moved him over he was just fine. I'm sure it helped that there was a small tv in one corner of the room playing "The Wiggles" most of the time. Plus they have much bigger and better toys over there; most of them are more suited for Eli's tastes. I know this phase is not over, but today was very encouraging.

When we got back home Eli and I had lunch which mostly consisted of a banana for Eli. (I swear I don't know how he continues to grow since he barely eats some days.) He's taken to holding it like a grown-up now (with the skin). After lunch he participated in his new favorite game of pick-up-the-rubber-ball-and -chuck-it-only-to-find-it-and-repeat-over -and-over.

2 comments:

Gina said...

I'll have to see what Liam does if I give him the whole banana to hold... very cute photo of Eli!

Good luck with the separation anxiety. It's age appropriate, so just soak up the fact that he hates being away from you. Gotta love THAT kind of affection! The sweetest compliment.

Jeni said...

what a doll...