Monday, January 22, 2007

Sweet Sassy!

Today was a good day. Scratch that - a GREAT day. Eli had his swim class this morning which went as expected: some fun and some fussing. He still won't actively jump in the water, but at least he's not running from it!

The day got really good after Eli's nap. I went in to his nursery to find he was playing with his aquarium (his 'radio') and his pelican toy (he loves to put things in it's mouth and watch them fall to it's stomach). We hung out in there for about 20 minutes, playing with toys and reading stories. Eli goes through such swings with his story time: for two weeks he'll love nothing more than to sit in my lap and read for extended periods of time. Then he'll switch for another week or so and not sit still for even one book. Today he was in the lap-story-time phase. (YIPPEE!!) After a few books he started to walk towards the door (his indication that he's ready to leave his room and play in the rest of the house), so I told him, "Let's change your diaper first, Eli." Eli immediately sat down on his changing mat, lowered his head back and waited for me to come over to change him. (Quick background: for over a month now Eli has been incredibly difficult to change 95% of the time. For no apparent reason, he cries, wiggles, and squirms his way through every diaper change.)

Ahhhhh. Compliance. Not many things make a mom more happy. (Seriously, I was so shocked and overwhelmed with joy at Eli's blatant obedience that I couldn't stop kissing him and thanking him the whole time I changed his diaper.)

Following that wondrous occasion, Eli and I ran to the store and then came home to make dinner. This was as difficult as it always is, considering Eli's desire to have me play with him rather than cook a meal, but we got through it. Lehr came home and we all ate together, with no fights over eating or drinking I might add. To finish off the night, we all snuggled on the couch before Eli's bath, playing patty-cake and 'where-is-daddy's-ear'.

2 comments:

Mall Worker said...

My little guy has been fussy for no reason over diaper changes lately too. I wonder if its just the age. I'm glad today was a good day!

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love those kind of days?! Those fall slightly ahead of the "perfect mommy" days, where you feel like everything has gone smoothly and you're the Mother of the Year.

Also, I love Eli's hat in the Saturday post. Where did you find it!?