Monday, May 29, 2006

Blatant Discrimination, Indeed....

I don't normally use this blog for anything more than an update on Eli, or a shameless ramble about how much I love my family. However, I couldn't let this topic pass by without a comment.

Anne Maddox brought an article to my attention after I posted Once Upon a Random Thought. If you don't feel like reading the article, here's the summary: babies are being aborted (later in pregnancy) due to small abnormalities including webbed digits and clubfeet.

How horrible to think that innocent babies are being denied life based on small, correctable 'imperfections'. I'm not trying to start a debate on abortion; the devastation here has more to do with the thought process behind why to abort. The birth defects listed in this article are not life-threatening or even immobilizing, in my opinion. More importantly, most, if not all, are correctable. I certainly hope that the "parents" referenced in this article made this decision based on the lack of information they had about correction or therapy regarding their baby's abnormality. At least if ignorance prompted their choice, there is hope that we can prevent this tragedy in the future through education by the media and doctors. However, if they made their decision because they couldn't handle the idea of a less-than-perfect child, God help any future children they might have. I pray that those children never stutter, or lag behind in gym class, or develop a lisp...

5 comments:

Gina said...

So sad. Thanx for your thoughts.
I sent u an email.

Marie said...

You know - I think that 'imperfect' is the best 'perfection' -it's with all our little tics, silly spots - big & little - that makes life interesting, dynamic and blessed. People who can't understand the beauty in imperfect don't understand so much of what can be right in the world.

Marie said...

You know - 'imperfect' is the best 'perfection' -- it's with all our tics, silly & soft spots- big & little that makes the world beautiful, dynamic & blessed. Parents who can not accept anything but perfect are missing so much of what is right in the world. I hope it's because of a lack of understanding verses a lack of heart as well.

You have a beautiful blog -- I'll be sure to check back! Thanks for sharing.

Anne said...

It's just so sad. I'm thankful that Eli has such wonderful parents.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

My goodness, my heart breaks for these babies. It's shameful that parents are not willing to "work" at helping their child if he has some disability. I have never thought that what I do for Noah is "work". It is called LOVE. If anything, doesn't anyone believe in miracles anymore these days?

By the way, I again love that post about choosing to keep Eli's brace on for the picture. That says so much about your love for him and where your heart is.