Saturday, May 06, 2006

Angels Among Us

I know he fusses unnecessarily sometimes. I know he has been clingy to the point of annoying this week. I know when he was younger and woke up during the night, I would curse on my way to feed him at 3AM. I know some days I get frustrated when he refuses to nap (and then stays in a permanent bad mood all day because he's overtired). I know he is already testing my limits with his stubborn streak. I know that for the next three years (at least) I will be picking up Cheerios and sippy cups off the floor during and after every meal.

More importantly...

I also know that I will never forget how I felt when the midwife placed him in my arms for the first time. I also know that even though I would curse on my way to his nursery at 3AM, I would also smile and cherish the special time I got to spend with him while the rest of the world slept. I also know that hearing him talk and laugh is music to my ears. I also know that when he is asleep I miss him. I also know that every week I have a 'new favorite thing' that involves him. I also know that he makes me smile every day.

As I type, Eli is asleep in the other room. After a long afternoon of playing with Cooper and then (patiently) watching everyone eat for an hour or so, Eli remained quiet on the drive home and went into his crib for a nap without so much as a peep. It's moments like these when I know that God has truly blessed Lehr and I with our very own angel.

2 comments:

Glass Half Full said...

The ups and downs of being a mom - what a sacrifice!

ENDURANCE - PATIENCE - LOVE

Mall Worker said...

What a sweet and true post! I used to curse too on the way to the nursery!