Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Meet-N-Greet

FINALLY! This morning the kids got to take a quick trip to school to meet-n-greet their teachers. Eli has been so excited about school starting that he's requested several drive-by's in the last few weeks. Last night we packed his school bag with all of the supplies his teacher requested. And we bundled Maddie's supplies into a Target bag, since she wouldn't receive her school bag until this morning. Both kids were jumping out of their skin this morning as we ate a quick breakfast. Maddux added a few short tantrums to the excitement, but such is life with a two-year-old who is also a girl.

I opted to not bring the camera today. Too much going on and I knew it would be more of a hassle than it was worth. That turned out to be a good call because most of the morning was a bit chaotic. First we went to Maddux's room. Her teacher is Mr. Sue, a woman who helped out a lot in Eli's class last year. Maddux met her, but didn't show too much interest as she saw many toys and that prevented her from focusing on anything else. I let her play around in the room a little bit while I talked briefly with the teacher. She then traced Maddie's hand onto her school bag and off we went. Next up was Eli's room. What a sweet reunion. Eli's teacher is Ms. Jane, the same teacher he had as a two-year-old. Her assistant is even the same, which is great news to me as I loved them both. The Pre-K classroom is so big! And the toys and centers available to them will prove for many stories when Eli gets home each day. Ms. Jane told us there will be 14 kids in Eli's class, the majority of them boys (maybe 11?). She laid out the schedule for me and then we talked briefly about what Eli can and cannot do at this point. Of the long list she asked me about, there were only two things I told her 'no' to: writing numbers 1-10 and writing all 26 letters. Eli can write his name and some letters you ask of him, but I know if I just asked him to write "Q" or "R", he would give me a blank stare. And we haven't done too much writing of numerals this summer, so outside of "1", he'd probably struggle.

Even though Eli's class is a 5-day/week class, I planned on keeping him home Fridays. That would be the only weekday that the three of us would have together with no plans. However, there are several field trips and parties planned on Fridays, so that won't work as well as I'd hoped. I explained to Eli's teacher my reasons for it and she understood completely (she has kids too). She said if there was a special lesson planned, she'd try to let me know so I could send him. Other than that, she knows if he misses on Friday, it's 'just because'.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

How many days will Maddie go to school? I'll be you are excited to have some "me" time when they are in school, huh?