Sunday, September 13, 2009

Em-PHA-sazing The Sy-LA-ble

Eli really has a knack for syllables and determining how many are in each word. He and I have done the 'clap' game before with syllables, but I never pushed it very much. Then last week, just before school started, the kids and I were in the car and he started it again. "E-li. Mom, Eli has two words." "Ma-ducks. Mom, Maddux has two words." Except for the fact that he calls syllables 'words', Eli was right. So I started challenging him with different words. He would clap them out and then count them out on his fingers like I showed him. Even if he clapped incorrectly, by the time he counted them on his fingers, he would have corrected himself. His favorite words are 'watermelon' (FOUR WORDS, MOMMY!!) and 'baseball bat' (even though that's not technically one word).

2 comments:

bev said...

Way to go Eli! Sounding words out and reading is next!

Gina said...

He is one smart cookie! I will have to try that with Liam.