Friday, June 19, 2009

Taking Inventory

I know I shouldn't do that until the kids are 25 or 30, but when I have tough moments, it helps me to push through. Because no matter how hard the hour, the day, the week, when I take inventory on my kids, the pros always outweigh the less-than-pros. (Even on days like today when Eli stages an all-out time-out tantrum during lunch.)
  • Maddux is singing along to songs now. When we sing ABC's, she is right there with any missing letter, especially "G", "P", "ESSSSS", and "EXXXXX". She also sings along with me when I sing "You Are My Sunshine". Maddie can often be overheard singing to herself too...especially if she's a little tired. It's like she's singing herself a lullaby.
  • Eli told me today, "Mommy, I'm happy!" We were hiking at Sope Creek and all three of us were having a great morning. Out of the blue he looked at me and stated his happiness. Love. That. Boy.
  • Maddux looks up to her brother so so so much. And anything he does, she does. Even if there is no reason for it! If he points to his knee and mentions that it hurts, she does the same (with a whimper). If he reaches out and touches a leaf while we're walking, she makes sure to do the exact same. While we were hiking today, Eli spotted a really neat, really big grasshopper on a long branch. He wanted him to move, so eventually he pushed the branch up and down impatiently. After the joy of watching that grasshopper fly/hop away, we started walking. Maddux stayed behind, squatted at another branch (without any bugs on it), and started moving the leaves back and forth, just as Eli had just done.
  • Both Eli and Maddux do have love and compassion for each other deep down. Sometimes it's not evident, like when Maddux falls down right in front of Eli and he all but steps over her to keep playing. Or when Maddux reaches out and 'swats' at Eli's head, for no reason at all. But moments here and there give me a window to their hearts and it is good. Eli tells Maddie each morning as I'm getting her dressed, "Maddie, dats a pretty shirt!" or "Oooh. Maddux has on a beautiful swimsuit today." And Maddie hugs Eli so many times a day that I lose count. It's fun to see the interaction between them that has nothing to do with me. I sometimes catch Eli asking Maddie to play with him, or I see him help her over some rough terrain, or I see her bring him a toy. Life is good.

No comments: