Friday, June 26, 2009

Good Mommy = Good Day

About a week ago, Eli randomly told me, "Mommy, you're a good mommy." Of course that made my whole day, regardless of what tantrums, time outs or tit-for-tats followed. This morning Eli woke up soaking wet, as he does from time to time. (I think he is just a REALLY deep sleeper at night.) I was in the process of changing his sheets and he stood near the door, watching me. Out of nowhere Eli smiled and said, "You're a good mommy, Mommy." Of course I stopped and told him, "Thank you. You're a good big boy!" I'm surprised I'm even able to type this without getting a stomach ache from all of the sicky sweetness of the exchange!

But these glimpses into Eli's spontaneous self have become more and more frequent. And I never get tired of that. He regurgitates life lessons back to me at random times, and often they fit the situation. Like when he is telling me why we shouldn't touch the grill, or why it's important to share. In recent weeks Eli has been playing nice with Maddux and even offers to help her with shoes or toys when he doesn't know I'm watching. Despite the days when I feel like everything I'm doing is in vain, Eli is growing into a young man whom I am very proud to call my son.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

He is a very sweet boy!