Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Trip to the Doctor

Maddux had her four-month well-check this morning. I decided to have Eli get his flu shot at the same time, to save a trip. Before the visit I guessed Maddie would weigh in at 15 pounds, considering how much my back aches when I put her in the bjorn these days. I wasn't far off: she tipped the scale at 14lb. 10oz!! That put her in the 75% for weight, and at 25 1/2" long, she is in the 95% for height. We have a big girl on our hands! Eli did very well during the appointment. I brought along his Spiderman camera (a favorite these days) and Fox In Sox, which kept him pretty entertained while we waited for the nurse to come in with the shots. Eli got his first and he barely flinched when she stuck him. Maddux gave a very, VERY sad cry when she got her immunizations, however.

For those of you with kids who sign(ed), did they forget signs as they started to use words? Yesterday I had my mouth full, so I told Eli to "drink. milk" with sign language. He looked at me like I was nuts. So I then reminded him of all the signs he used to use. Especially "please" and "thank you" and "more", which he still uses at the same time he says the words some times. Even those seemed to baffle him, which makes me think he doesn't realize he's using those hand gestures: it's just a reflex. Just tonight, when he finished his dinner, Eli shook his hands and said, "All done." which he does every time he says those words. But if you ask him to 'sign' it, he doesn't have a clue.

2 comments:

SmallvilleMom said...

Maya does the same thing. I thing she's just copying my gestures more than connecting the word with the sign. I've asked her to say "love you" and "night-night" to Ava and she'd forgotten how to sign those. And I've done the "drink" or "eat" thing w/my mouth full as well and she didn't get it.

jolibe said...

Liam still does "all done" too. But none of the others. I've never asked to "sign on command" - I'm curious if he remembers...I'll have to try it out.

Maddux is right up there with my baby girl Danika! Maybe they'll wind up on the same Olympic volleyball team someday?! :)