Monday, May 07, 2007

Donation Corner: Atlanta 2-Day Walk for Breast Cancer

I am late, I know, but I have a good excuse, right?

This month I'm highlighting a cause many women feel strongly about: Breast Cancer. Last year I had the wonderful experience of walking in this 2-Day fundraiser for breast cancer awareness/research/treatment, and, with the generous help of friends and family, I was able to raise just over $1000. Unfortunately this year I will not be able to participate considering baby #2 will still be nursing every three hours or so at the time of the walk. This saddens me as I want to be a part of this great cause again, so my hope is to ask for you all to donate (again) even though I'm not walking.

If you did not read my blog about this last year, here is the skinny: the Atlanta 2-Day Walk for Breast Cancer is a 30-mile walk which raises money for Atlanta based breast cancer organizations. This covers treatment, research, therapy, and awareness, just to name a few. Also, unlike many of the other 'big' breast cancer walks, over 70% of the donations goes directly into the cause. (I was unaware before last year, but many large charities have overhead with a big price tag and it is not uncommon for 50% of donations to be 'lost' in that shuffle.) I have been following the coverage of the walk preparation through a local radio station, and already there are close to 1000 walkers signed up. This is great news considering it's only May and there are still three months to sign up and participate. So, if you have ever been affected by breast cancer (and sadly, if you haven't, someone you know probably will in your lifetime), please donate. Every donation is appreciated, no matter the size.

No comments: