Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Updates

Obviously this home renovation is cramping my blogging style - no time anymore! And when I do have time, I always seem to forget what it was I wanted to blog about. Thank goodness I can look back through twitter at some of the Maddie-isms to recap on those days!
  • Maddux and I were checking out a bakery today for Eli's birthday. I just realized that I won't be able to make him a cake this year (no oven or kitchen), so cupcakes for the pool are on the menu. I'd told Mad Dog that we were *just looking*, but that we'd eat the cupcakes in a few weeks when it was Eli's big day. As I was trying to get her out of the car in the parking lot, she was messing around in the backseat, playing with Eli's toy compass and lolly-gagging. She said, "I just looking at what time it is........ Oh look!!!! It's time to get cupcakes!" And with that she put the toy down and came right to me. Goofball to the max!
  • Maddux knows that when we go to the gym, I often take a class in the room right next to her playroom. When we leave, she always asks, "Is that where your school was?", and she usually asks if I was doing what the people in there at that moment are doing. This week they had a yoga class in there as we left. After I told her what kind of class it was, she said, "I wanna go to the yogurt class!" Even after I corrected her twice, she still insisted on calling it that. Of course.
  • Eli has been slowly but surely finding his inner artist over the last few months. One day at the gym he colored a pre-drawn sheet perfectly in the lines, and even insisted on bringing it home to finish it. (This is the same kid who usually scribbles a little near the lines and says, "DONE!" Not only have I found drawings in Eli's backpack each day, but he has a very descriptive answer for me when I ask what they are. And he usually puts them in his room so he can work on them more later.
  • My new Kindergartner is a sleeeeeeepy kid. Eli has always been the child that needs 12-hours at night, desperately. Now that he's in school all day (not to mention getting up at 6:20 each morning), he has gone back to napping more days than not. A few days ago he napped for 45-minutes, and then when I woke him to come to my room and hang out while I got ready for evening plans, he fell back asleep (amidst me getting ready, Maddux playing right next to him, and massive construction noises including a nail gun, a generator, and an electric saw) for another full hour. The good news is, he usually knows when he needs that sleep. After a quick debriefing after school and a one-on-one book, Eli has about 45 minutes of room time where he can choose to read, color, play or snooze. When he snoozes, he even takes it upon himself to close the blinds. I love that little man!!!

No comments: