Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Anticipation...

Ugh. Stomach turning. Thoughts racing. Sleep escaping. And it's not even the first day of school yet.

This week has been full of back-to-school activities. I took Eli to get some new clothes at Old Navy and Target. He was so excited to pick out clothes off of the rack. (Normally Mommy just shops the sales on OldNavy.com and a brown box arrives with new clothes for the kids which they try on at home. Eli was totally blown away by walking into a store and trying on clothes in a fitting room only to take them home. What a concept!) We picked a few pairs of shorts and a few shirts; shoes arrived via mail a few weeks ago. (Old habits are hard to break!) Then we picked out a back pack (McQueen) and lunch box (IronMan). Today we will go get a few last minute things and tomorrow Eli will get on that big yellow bus and stay away for almost eight full hours. Ouch.

As I type this, Eli and Lehr are on that bus. They boarded at 7AM this morning for a practice run which will loop all the stops, go to the school and then come back to drop them off. And I'm already getting separation anxiety! (Speaking of which, Lehr just texted me a grainy picture of Eli sitting on the bus with our neighbor, chatting it up...he's fine, of course.) Eli has been doing a type of school for a few years now, but the time away from home each day was so short, especially when you factored in my driving him to and picking him up from the school. Tomorrow starts a whole new ball game and I'm not sure if I'm ready.

We went to Meet-N-Greet yesterday so that Eli could meet his teacher and see his classroom. He was very excited to see his name on his desk and check out the classroom (especially the computers). Then last night, Mommy got to go and meet with the teacher to learn about what their day will look like, what the procedures are, etc. I got choked up at least twice. My baby, my first born, my little man is growing up SO fast and I can barely stand it. I ask Eli daily to stop growing and he usually promises me he will. If only he could keep that promise.....

No comments: