Saturday, August 21, 2010

#5 Turns The Big Oh-Five

Five years. Amazing. I have no clue how we got here already, but before my eyes you have raced through your days as an infant, a crawler, a toddler, and now you are a full-fledged 'kid' in Kindergarten. Wow.

There are so many changes that have taken place with you in the last year, Eli. The main one for me is your conversability. (Is that a word?) You carry on these cool conversations now, with thought, depth, and banter. You didn't do that last year this time. It was fun to talk to you, and you added to the conversation, but you have taken it to a whole new level now. It is amazing to your dad and I to be talking during couch time for twenty minutes only to have you ask us a question about the first thing we said once we finish. Crazy.

Another one is your hair. We shaved you down to a mohawk when you were just barely two years old. Since then, we've grown your hair out with only minimal trims here and there, which gave you the infamous 'drummer hair' that everyone knew you by. Then summer hit and you begged us to shave your head like Daddy's. We tried to persuade you, tried to convince you that Daddy wasn't that cool, but you pleaded, so the night before we moved out of the house for the summer, we shaved it all off. Now I can't imagine you any other way. Your buzzed hair makes you look so grown up, so like Daddy....and I love it.

And all of the new 'big kid' things that come with being a rising Kindergartner... It's been a busy summer! You got to attend a week-long sports camp, which you LOVED. Then you were able to participate in our church's VBX camp...and not in the PreK program like you did last year with an abbreviated (while still really cool) program, but the REAL program with all other elementary kids. WOW! You fit right in, and of course you loved the worship part the best. I was so proud at how you stood up, did all of the hand motions, and sung (even though it was quietly) every song even though most of the other kindergartners in your group sat down and covered their ears.

Baseball: where do I begin? Just after your fourth birthday you started playing on a real team. With real baseballs and real bats. And real pitching. I knew you'd love it, but I had no idea you'd do as well as you did. You may not have been the fastest on the team, or the best catcher or hitter, but you were the most enthusiastic. And you tried so hard and stayed so focused. Your dad and I were so proud of you for playing with kids two years older than you and not even flinching. You amaze us!

I love love love how you try to wake me up: the same way I wake you. On the weekends when you often find your way to my side of the bed after you get up and use the bathroom, even though you wake me up with your steps down the hall, I usually keep my eyes shut as you enter the room. I can almost always feel you standing next to me, looking to see if I'm awake. And then, just as gently as I try to rouse you, you rub my arm, my back, my face, trying to get me to wake up and play with you. Or when we crash on the couch after reading bedtime books and I close my eyes for a few moments out of exhaustion, you reach your little fingernails under my shirt and try to lightly scratch my back, because that is what you ask me to do for you when you're sleepy.

And you are becoming so fun to have along for simple errands. Whenever your dad or I need to run to Home Depot, or to the grocery store, your presence is no longer a responsibility, but more a companionship. You have had so much fun in the last year, accompanying your dad to several band rehearsals, pick-ups and performances. All without another chaperon; you handle yourself very well when put in the position to sit, observe, and obey.

Now you are having some 'over socialization' issues at school this week. Your teacher had to call me yesterday morning regarding your 'silly' behavior in class. I know that this is your personality, but I also know that you can channel that energy and focus on the lesson. I'm confident this is your way of testing the waters in your new environment and it will pass. You usually respond to a united front presented by all parties involved, so that's what we're doing. And as much as I dreaded that call, I will admit that I'm overjoyed by the 'problems' we have with you at school. 99% of the time they trace back to your over-eagerness and happy disposition.

So today, Eli, enjoy every second of your celebration. I hope you love the cool, not-so-cheap cupcakes I had to buy because I don't have an oven to make you a cake. I hope you love the few gifts your dad and I (and Mad Dog) chose for you. And I hope you are happy that you are celebrating your special day with us, because we are over-the-moon to be celebrating you.

No comments: