Monday, August 16, 2010

Capital "A", Audacious

Maddux is the kid I always wished I was. She walks into a social situation with no fear and not only makes friends, but leads those new friends. So far this seems to be a good thing, as I've not seen her in a 'bossy' role with friends-for-a-day as of yet. Take today, for example. She and I were at a small park playing. Two other children approached, around her age, so I backed off to allow mingling. Maddux immediately went up to them and (I'm pretty sure these were her exact words) said, "Hey you, y'wanna play?" For the next twenty minutes the three of them played without any arguments or out-of-control behavior. It was beautiful. And my daughter was the one 'leading' the play most of the time, but she'd toned her voice and actions down a few notches to meet their calm dispositions. Amazing. I think that's why Mad Dog does so well socially: she knows when and how to alter her presence to fit with the situation.

Just a few hours later we went to her first ballet lesson. The studio I chose is a very 'strict' one with a specific dress code and 'manner' code. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sweating this one. Images of Maddux being (politely) asked to leave due to her volume and silliness crossed my mind. But when I put her hair in that little bun and we walked into the waiting room, she instantly fell into a calmer, shyer Maddux. Maybe not shy, but just not so audacious. (And I LOVE how audacious she normally is; don't get me wrong!!) She had a great class and walked out of the room as calmly as she walked in. Amazing. Because you know two minutes out of the studio she was singing silly songs and strutting her crazy strut as she usually does.

No comments: