Thursday, March 25, 2010

Happy Birthday, Mommy!

The kids were SO excited about my birthday. Not sure if it was the promise of cake, or the chance that a present might be for them or what, but they were so ready for this day to arrive. Eli has been telling me for days that he was going to make me a sign and get me a 'bup'. (A cup/bowl, like the one Lehr got me for Christmas, since it's all I use to eat the copious amount of cereal I consume each day.) I know he wasn't trying to ruin any surprises; he was just too excited to keep it in!

The day was challenging, with Eli throwing a major tantrum right around lunch time, and more errands to run than anyone should have to add to a to-do list in one day, but we all made it to 4PM alive. Once naps were out of the way, we planned to party. Lehr brought home Doc Chey's (my favorite) around 530 and we all enjoyed our meal via chopsticks. The kids made a sign (with help from Grandma Cathie) for my birthday that hung in the dining room. Eli was sooo excited to show me how he wrote "Eli" and "Maddux" and "33". (He actually told his teacher the next day that I turned 13...good stuff!)

After dinner I opened my presents. Eli's was first since he could not contain himself. (This week he reminded me of the suprirse lady on SNL.) Even as I was opening it, he said, "Mommy, look! It's a...." and then he covered his mouth because he knew he wasn't supposed to tell me. So cute. We then moved back to the table for cake. Chocolate madness is the best description. The kids were in heaven.

Since Lehr, D and I were leaving right after baths to go to a concert, we tried to burn off some of that sugar with a family bowling game. The kids had a blast laughing at the adults - most of us could barely hit the pins! A GREAT day for sure: I think each child sang "Happy Birthday" to me at least eight times!

No comments: