Thursday, January 15, 2009

The World According to Eli

Eli is telling amazing stories and re-caps these days. Every afternoon I hear a new dream or thought, all told in a very serious and excited little voice. Here are a few from this week, which just happen to be of the religious variety.

One night this week, Lehr went under the house to change the air filters. He had to go into the crawl space (accessed under the back deck), which totally intrigued Eli. He asked to help Lehr; he wanted to use his camping flashlight to help Lehr see. Once they got to the entrance, Lehr said Eli's eyes got really big and he asked, "You goin' in dere!?!?" Lehr assured him he'd be fine, but Eli could wait at the entrance and hold the flashlight so he could see. Eli obliged, and the two came back into the house minutes later. Eli was so excited to tell me how they went under the house and how Daddy went into the dark place to fix the air 'fing'.

"Mommy, we went under the deck and there was animals under there!! I fink dere is a bear down there!!"

"Really? Did you see it?"

"No, but I heard it. Guess what, Jesus was down dere too!! He was 'tecting me. (protecting)I wasn't 'say-erd' at all!"

Eli has become quite interested in stickers recently. We've had many conversations about where stickers do and don't go. In our house, stickers are allowed on your clothes or skin, but not on books, walls, or furniture. Once a week, Eli will come across a page of stickers and he'll ask if he can 'pway' with them. I tell him he can, reviewing the rules. This week he asked Maddie if she wanted a sticker on her shirt, and then he asked me if I wanted one. Once Mad Dog and I had quite a collection going, Eli decided he needed a few also. He put McQueen stickers on his shirt, up near where a shirt pocket would go.

"Mommy, look at my sticker! It's on my shirt...next to my heart wiff God."

It's truly awesome when you realize that the stuff you keep telling your kids really is getting through to them.

No comments: