Tuesday, January 20, 2009

More Random Updates

I know my posts have been a bit infrequent as of late....life has just been busy! The kids are making sure that any 'down time' I have is filled also. Both kids have an ever-changing vocabulary; here are a few recent samples.

Maddux knows how to say "ow" and she says it ALL of the time. Even when she isn't in pain. It all started when Lehr accidentally caught her hair in her bib a few times. Now she says "ow" each and every time you put her bib on, even if her hair doesn't get caught. And she always furrows her eyebrows and gives you a 'poor me' look as she says it. If it weren't so cute, it would be pathetic.

My girl is also saying 'uh oh' now. Except it comes out "uh-ho". She knows the appropriate times to say it and it gives her great pleasure that she has mastered this phrase.

The other day Eli started showing his more sensitive side. He carried two of his stuffed animals (Sam, the dog, and "Baa" the sheep) downstairs. He had them wrapped in his mommy-blanket, and he informed us that they were sleeping. (He also cautioned us to "be vewy vewy quiet" so we didn't wake them up.) Eli had a whole story about how they were sick and he needed to give them medicine and let them sleep. Then, when they cried, he ran to them and picked them up. Fast forward a few days when Eli told me, "If Maddie cries, just pick her up and hug her. I can hug her too...that make her feel better."

When Eli is not being extra sensitive towards Maddux, he's making sure she stays in line. He loves to tell her (usually nicely) what the rules are and he's the first one to let her know if she's not following them. My words are coming back to me because all I hear these days when he thinks he is supposed to be parenting her is "NO SIR!" We are constantly reminding him that he is not her parent, but for now the first-born characteristics are in full bloom.

No comments: