Monday, January 12, 2009

My Maddie-Maddie

Poor girl. I don't know if it's teeth again or a small cold, but she's been drooling, runny-nosed and clingy-CLINGY to me the last few days. Today she was beside-herself-miserable for most of the time. And she nodded off on the way to pick Eli up from school. She hasn't done that in months!

The good news is, she's even more cuddly when she feels this way. Sunday I read her a book before her nap and she sat facing me instead of facing the book. She just laid her head on my chest and listened to me read. Then I sang to her and rocked her. I was enjoying the moment so much that I kept going until about five minutes later I realized Maddie's eyes were shut and she was breathing very rhythmically. Like Eli, she hasn't needed anyone to rock her to sleep since she was about six weeks old. But unlike him, she'll let you if you offer (Eli refuses - he WANTS to fall asleep on his own...always has). It was so nice to spend that quality time with her because who knows how much longer it'll last. One thing I know for sure: babies don't keep!!

Lehr decided to capitalize on her cuddly mood by trying the same thing with her last night. She didn't let him rock her to sleep (she had 'ants in the pants', as Lehr says), but she was equally as sweet with him. She would lay on his chest for a minute and then pop her head up and kiss him. Repeat, repeat. I got a taste of this tonight as I read her a book. She prefers to sit facing me most of the time now, so it isn't hard for her to look up and sneak a kiss. What I love(d) about it more than anything was how intentional she was. She put her chubby little hands on each of my cheeks and planted one right on my lips, like I do with her and Eli sometimes. I love that girl!!

No comments: