Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Bottoms Up!

Maddux has a new trick: she can drink milk left from her cereal out of the bowl without spilling more than a few drops! (Yes, we celebrate even the most simple achievements in our house!) She picked up her ladybug bowl after breakfast one day last week and emptied it before I had a chance to stop her. When I noticed she hadn't spilled any, I was shocked. This has presented a new problem though. Now Mad Dog thinks she can drink anything that is in a bowl. Considering that she's only 16-months old, most of her food gets put into a bowl instead of a plate, so she now tries to drink pasta, beans and rice, and scrambled eggs....

After lunch today, the kids helped me tag and organize donated gifts for a family in Louisiana. Each year we apply to be matched to a family with a child suffering a terminal illness. Several other friends help out and we do our best to make their Christmas full of fun and gifts. The kids went with me to shop a bit this morning, but this afternoon was where the real giving spirit kicked in. I told Eli and Maddie that I was going to tag the gifts and they could play in the front room with me. Eli told me right away, "I want to help you, Mommy. Can I work diff (with) you?" He really really helped too. I parked myself in the hall (where it was sunny) and tagged the bag I brought in from the car while Eli pulled all of the toys and clothes and books and other gifts into the hall from the guest room. Two gifts in particular are in very large cardboard boxes that Eli had to push to me because of their size. He kept going back for more as soon as he brought me a handful. And when I had them all tagged, he asked if he could put them back in the room. Wow. All with a very happy smile on his face too. He kept telling me, "I want to go to Jazz Fest and play with these kids. I'll show them how to play drums."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He's about as sweet as they come....