Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Be Still My Heart

Eli is a sweet kid. Yes, everyone says it about their children. It is still the truth. Most days he thinks about other people's feelings and sometimes he actually makes decisions based on those feelings! We've taught Eli about "Ladies first", but so far no major action in that area. If I'm up to it, I'll scoot in front of him before he runs through the garage door and gently remind him, "Eli, what should you say to Mommy when the door is open?", but a reminder is always needed. So after we had lunch today I needed to clear the table before joining the kids on the back deck. I told Eli he could go out ahead of me, so he opened the sliding glass door. Instead of yelling, "Noo. NOOOO!" when Maddux advanced towards the opening, Eli moved to the side and said (in the most gentle voice ever), "You wanna come out here wiff me?" She did and he followed through the door after her and closed it behind him. Had I not seen it with my own eyes, I might not have believed it. Not that Eli can't be sweet and not that I don't believe he has that gentleness in him, but for the whole thing to play out in the way it did...amazing. Life is good.

No comments: