Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Donation Corner: Giving Back

It appears Eli is finally going to be able to repay Dr. Ponseti for the correction of his feet. Most of you know that I keep a page dedicated to the progress Eli's feet have made (right side bar), where I post pictures and video of his feet over time. In the past month a woman working with a professor at the University of Iowa (Dr. Ponseti's home) has contacted me with a request to use before and after pictures of Eli's feet. Since we feel so fortunate that everything has gone so smoothly (which we credit Dr. P with, in addition to Dr. Morrissy, since he invented the technique), I happily sent on the photos. I was told they would be used in a presentation to inform and impress potential donors, who would hopefully then give money to the International Ponseti Foundation. The assistant then contacted me again informing me that she had also forwarded on the short video I made of Eli's transformation to this professor and a doctor who works along side of Dr. Ponseti. Apparently the prof called her right back praising the video and asking her if I'd be willing to allow them use of it for further presentations.

At this point I'm already excited to be a part of helping this incredible doctor become more well-known. The professor, who is also the chairman of the Ponseti Association, and I exchanged a few emails and then spoke on the phone about what exactly was needed. It was so wonderful to hear even more about the doctor Lehr and I think is so amazing. The professor confirmed everything Lehr and I had read and heard about Dr. P, and even managed to make him appear more hero-like in my eyes. It was so great to hear that this 92-year old doctor is still in the clinic four days per week, answering at least 120 emails every day on top of seeing all of the patients that travel from all over the world to see him.

Back to how this affects Eli: the professor liked the video so much that he hopes to have it playing (along with other informational clips) on a loop in the waiting room in the clinic, in hopes of putting the families there at ease about the process their child is about to go through. Also, he would like to use the video and pictures in the presentation they will be giving in a few weeks at a Wealth & Giving Forum.

The presentation, which they have been working on for two years, is one that will hopefully result in large corporations, such as Nike and Johnson & Johnson, donating services and materials to help with clubfoot patients in third world countries. In places such as Africa, children born with this defect are without hope. Their only means of survival is education, but the only way to attend school is to walk miles and miles. Untreated, children born with clubfeet cannot walk properly, if at all. This obviously means no school, which moves them further down the food chain in their world. I find this incredibly tragic, especially considering that the costs for materials to fix the feet (casts and bar/shoes) would only amount to $60/child.

Another goal of this presentation is to further inform the medical community of the success rate of Ponseti's non-surgical treatment. Several long-term studies have been done in recent years proving that even physicians not specializing in podiatry or orthopedics can be trained to correctly apply casts and the bar/shoes with a very high (at least 98%) success rate.

I know, blah blah...Nicole's back on another cause. If you haven't read any of my attachments or links related to Dr. Ponseti so far, here is yet another one; this one explains a little about why Dr. P is convinced that the non-surgery route is the easiest, most successful treatment of club feet. (A side note: In the last year I have come in contact with many parents who went the surgical route first, or saw a doctor that tried casting, but didn't receive correct training from Ponseti. I have yet to hear a success story from them. Either they are still trying to undo what the original doctor did with incorrect casting, or they are going for multiple surgeries (sometimes after the child is 4 or 5). The lucky ones realized quickly that Dr. Ponseti could help them, so they've flown to Iowa to seek his wisdom.) The Ronald McDonald house in Iowa houses most of these families, and Angel Flights help make travel accommodations for them. Dr. P doesn't turn anyone away, so his waiting room is always full which means the RMD house is always full. I will spotlight them in the next month or so, but if you are looking for a holiday donation to make this year, they are a well-deserving one!

In case you missed the video the first time around (or you're too lazy to click on the link to the right), here it is again!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nikki, I am totally in tears right now. Not that I am sad, that was a beautiful video. Eli has done so well, and come so far, and I couldn't be happier for all of you. So, I am sitting here shedding tears of absolute joy for all of you. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, because you certainly have much to be thankful for.

Anonymous said...

That was simply beautiful! I was so touched that I had tears running down my face. I've never met Dr. P. but I'm very familiar with the UIHC. The hosptials and clinics are fabulous. I'm so happy you received good care there.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I admit. I am one of those "lazy" people that doesn't click to the right enough. However, after reading this I would have. I am still sniffling from that video. It is just amazing how far Eli has come! I applaud you and Lehr for not only doing your research on the best, non-invasive procedure to correct Eli's feet, but for also sharing your story and journey with so many other people. I am excited to hear his video will be playing in the waiting room as this is where a lot of women have time to actually sit and watch t.v. (and sadly, where most get their information). I am excited to hear that non-podiatry/surgery health care providers will hopefully be learning how to properly cast. This will surely prevent some of the frustration felt when dealing with health insurance, ie referals, (if a patient even has some)as well as being able to get some information from their PCP. In family practice I have seen only one case of clubfoot and was able to educate the parents on the Ponseti treatment. They had never even heard of this. I was able to refer them out to someone who was able to give them even more information. (I relocated before I could follow-up with the parents to see how their child was doing). I pray your story will touch and help many, many children. Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

That is a wonderful video, Nicole!! And I'm so glad you get to share that with other parents who may need just that little bit of encouragement that you and Eli can provide!!

Anonymous said...

Oh that was so precious (I type with tears in my eyes!) I think it is so wonderful you are able to give back by telling your story. That's what it's all about...