Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Puppets

We are really enjoying this break from school and 'schedule'! Another thing I've been wanting to do with the kids is take them to the Center for Puppetry Arts. October ran a great show, but we had no days off, and November's show may not have held the kids' attention. This month was Rudolph, based on the old-school cartoon/clay-mation we've all watched for years and years. Even though I could not secure tickets online, I figured we'd give it a shot. When we arrived, all of the box office windows had signs reading 'Sold Out'. But I had to ask anyway. The attendant informed me that they were indeed sold out, even all of the way through the end of the week (3 shows a day too!). I had a back-up plan for the day, but we really wanted to see the show. The awesome attendant told me that from time to time they have a few unclaimed tickets, so if I gave her my cell phone number and stuck around the lobby, she'd call me if that was the case. We still had thirty minutes until the show, so we did just that. And as luck would have it, five minutes before curtain, my phone rang. Three tickets were ours!

Eli and Maddux loved the puppets, the show, and the songs. And I could not get over how well-done everything was. The puppets looked EXACTLY like the cartoon, only better! The show lasted about an hour and then we got to go upstairs and make a craft. The craft for this show was a reindeer puppet. Although I did 99.4% of all constructing, the kids got to decorate their own reindeer, which was so much fun. Maddux, of course, tried to glue 34 pieces of foam on her reindeer, all using a pound of glue each time. Eli, on the other hand, matched each side, making sure they followed a pattern. He even asked me to help with hooves and antlers when we got home.

No comments: