Monday, December 20, 2010

Mermaids!

The kids hadn't been to the Georgia Aquarium in about a year, so I figured it was a good time to return. A few weeks back I caught wind that the mermaids of Weeki Wachee would be 'performing' for a few weeks in December. DONE! We had company in town this morning, which I hated to tear my kids away from after lunch, but I knew they'd love it once we arrived. The mermaid 'show' had already started when we arrived, but we then found out another would happen an hour later. So we walked through one exhibit before heading back to the huge tank. The kids really got into the animals this time, asking about their names and what they ate. When the mermaids joined the fish and sharks in the tank, Maddux got all giddy. She couldn't take her eyes off of them! Eli asked me about their feet inside of the fins...I told him they had bones in there - no legs. He doubted me, but I kept a straight face and tried my best to convince him that mermaids were real. What fun is being a parent if you can't have fun at their expense some time, right?

We finally left several hours later. This was by far the best trip to the aquarium yet. Both Maddux and Eli got very into the exhibits and the animals. Both really enjoyed the penguins, especially when they got to peek their head through a glass 'pop-up' inside of the African Penguin area.

No comments: