Monday, August 24, 2009

The Light

It's at the end of the tunnel, but I see it!!! It's been a rough two or three weeks in our house. We've had some good times, but we've had a lot more not-good times. Maddux has been a bit whiny and VERY extreme in her daily reactions. That is to say if she receives the answer 'no' at ALL, she bursts into tears and stamps her feet. If Eli is playing with something she wants, she whines and yells like it's the end of the world. And the worst is the frustration factor for her right now. Mad Dog is two and she has hit the 'I-do-it' stage, full on. But her little fingers can't do everything, so the frustration outbursts are a-plenty. But we'll get through it. It's tough, but to me, this stage is a necessary one for her growth. I just need to be consistent.

Eli's rough patch has been longer than any in a while, and it has to do with very new issues for us. Mainly, getting out of his bed and room during naps and bedtime. The kids have always been 'good' sleepers with an understanding that bed time is sacred in our house. Out of seemingly nowhere, his constant 'potty trips' and random door openings have both Lehr and I scratching our heads in confusion. I think he's ready to not nap every day, but we've already discussed with him that playing quietly in his room is totally acceptable. I even help Eli plan for what he's going to occupy his time with each day. Still, issues most nights and naps and it's eating up any free time I may have had.

Then today: light bulb moment. We had a rough morning, but once we came home for lunch Eli made a shift. He went back to being his helpful, loving self. He even told me several times, "I'm going to stay in my room for naps today, Mommy!" I love it. I set him up with some new legos in there and closed the door. Almost 90-minutes passed before I heard his door crack. Even then, he just wanted to show me his creation. I walked into his room to see ALL of the little legos put neatly away in a bag and one big vehicle-thing in the middle of the floor. He was so proud. I told him he had ten minutes left (only because I believe he should not be the one to dictate the end of quiet time), and I'd come get him. He crawled up on his bed and zonked out for those ten. I came back in and snuggled with him while he came to again. Seriously: these are the moments....

The rest of the day was great too. He was supportive and caring while I tried to remove splinters from Maddie's foot, he was helpful when we ran an errand, and he was obedient to the max in every area all night. Bedtime went smoothly as well. I read to him, said prayers, and kissed him good-night. Not a sound from his room.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

LOVE the picture of Eli - very good shot of his pretty eyes. Good for you for standing your ground. Emily hasn't napped since she was 2 1/2, but bedtime is a bit tricky with her. She gets sad b/c she's "all alone", while the boys have each other to talk to until they fall asleep. I end up sitting with her out of guilt b/c she really is all alone while they have each other.