Saturday, April 14, 2007

Son, You Don't Have To Fight To Be A Man

Warning up front: this blog will get long and rambling. Mainly because I'm typing without too much forethought.

Raising kids, specifically boys, requires you to deal with the issue of fighting or bullying at some point or another. Maybe because someone picked on your kid or because your child did the picking. Regardless of the driver for the conversation, there will be a conversation sometime while they are under your roof. Whether it's a "Suck it up and walk away." talk, a "Stand up for yourself." talk, or a more in-depth combo of the two is where the confusion starts for me. My hope, like most parents, is to have a very open flow of conversation with my children. I want them to not only feel comfortable talking with me about issues that come up in their away-from-home lives, but also to want my opinion on how to handle those issues. Wow...see how quickly I digress?!?!

In the past few weeks I've been able to observe Eli in several different situations involving other children without much parental supervision. A few times at the park I've seen him be blocked off from access to certain areas of playground equipment by children a little older than him. I stayed out of it completely because there was no threat of harm. Mainly I was curious to see how Eli would handle himself. Most of the time he was visibly frustrated, but he has yet to resort to hitting, screaming at, or biting the kids. (Sigh of relief) I've also seen him climb on equipment at gym class or at the park only to have another child also assert him or herself on the apparatus as a challenge. With the exception of a short-lived temper tantrum involving feet stamping and "NOOOO", Eli chooses the non-confrontational route of holding his ground until it becomes apparent he'd have to get physical to maintain sole custody of whatever object is in question. This has pleased me as I very much do not want Eli to allow people to walk all over him, but just as much I do not want him to pick a fist fight at the first sign of a conflict.

The latest scenario I've witnessed involved a child appearing to be about a year older than Eli purposely pushing and 'throwing' Eli just for the sake of doing it. This child did not appear to be mean-spirited, but in the few occasions I've seen, Eli didn't do anything to instigate this very physical pummeling. My boy stood back up each time he was pushed to the ground, but he never retaliated. He also never came to me for comfort until I showed my face (mainly to stop what was happening, as it appeared to be escalating quickly).

Although it pained me to see Eli pushed and tackled, it didn't hit me too hard until later. My mind would not stop playing the image of Eli's confused and hurt face as the other child pushed him repeatedly. This led my thoughts to the topic at hand: fighting vs. standing up for yourself. Eli seems to have that balance at the moment, but what about when the encounters become more intense? What about when he has to fight back? How do we help him figure out the difference between fighting and self-defense? I'm pretty pacifist in nature, but I am very aware that there are times when just walking away isn't an option. In those times I want my kids to have the skills and discretion to be able to ward off their attacker(s). Lehr, the ever-wise husband and father that he is, reminded me why I decided to parent with him when I asked for his feedback. (For once, I am not being sarcastic; I sincerely mean the previous sentence.) He said it was very important for us to teach Eli to never throw the first punch and to not use excessive force. With that simple conversation he set my mind at ease. Not because he had the one-and-only answer to my problem, but because I realized that we are once again on the same page about this, and it's not my problem, but ours. Weight temporarily lifted....

If anyone has any words of wisdom on the subject at hand, how to help your kids be peaceful without becoming "mama's boys", do tell....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I am not able to offer any advice, given I do not have children of my own, I would like to offer my approval for how you and Lehr handled the situation at hand. I'm not quite sure how I would have responded because, again, I don't have children.

I really look forward to reading your blogs as they help me learn what I will/may expect and how to deal with the situations. I am curious to see what other mothers have to offer as far as advice. Thank you for being so honest and candid about your learning experiences with Eli. I know it is helping many other mothers (and future mothers).

Gina said...

I wish I could help. Liam isn't exposed to play groups much at all. I am glad you have Lehr for support. It's so tough to know HOW to teach them these simple lessons in life. I hope you can find a solution.

I am just starting the Jeckle and Hyde stage with the teething and tantrum stuff. Do email me with any advice on how to fall back in love with your child! I am feeling real desparate this past week, hence my no-blogging because I have nothing nice to say.

Heather said...

Wish I had a bowl full of advice for you ... however we are going through the same things with Ryan. It is hard to watch Ryan get pushed around but I have to remember that he's got a lot of learning to do. I too try not to jump right in, however, as a mom it's hard not to. You guys are doing great!

jolibe said...

First and foremost - trust your instincts above all else. Especially since you have your husband's full support behind you - you two sound like you are doing a great job as parents!

Unfortunately, I've run across this issue with my own nephew (29 months) bullying my son, who 18 months old.

I can't help but intervene pretty quickly because this kid seems to have some agression issues that have been going on for awhile - he tried to attack my son with a plastic shovel when my son was only 9 months old. (I have a hard time liking this kid even though he's related - I know it's not a good thing, but it's my "mama bear" rearing it's ugly head).

Anyhow - my thoughts/advice is that at this age (under 3 yrs) kiddos really don't have the understanding of moral implications, so I follow my instinct to protect my child from potential danger as necessary. And I still explain right from wrong, whether he grasps the concept or not. Conflict management is one of those essential life skills, but it's tricky to teach a toddler. I wish I had a better solution too...