Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Something Has Got To Give

It's been a rough few days with Eli. Not sure if it's due to lack of sleep (his and mine: my insomnia and his tendency to nap only 60 minutes most days) or his teeth (one of the eye teeth popped out yesterday), but I'd like it to get easier now.

Yesterday he was defiant and fussy for three straight hours before Lehr got home. Even though Eli was crying when he walked through the door, he settled down a lot for Daddy, of course. Then today we are without a car, so entertainment is difficult at best. We did have a good morning consisting of tearing the garage apart, walking around the outside of the house hundreds of times, and playing at the park. Unfortunately that was followed up by the worst couch/blanket time in history. Seriously. Even the very first one was better than today. Eli refused to stay on the blanket and/or play. It was as if we'd never done this before.... Add that to the epic fight we have every time I need to change a very-obviously dirty diaper, and I'm at my breaking point.

On a positive note, while Eli was at Mothers Morning Out (also known as my saving grace) yesterday, I checked out another 'preschool' for the fall. I have enrolled Eli in a 2-day/week program (3 hours each day) that offers at least everything I was looking for. (I think he is getting bored of just playing at MMO.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even when I haven't worked, the kids have stayed in preschool at least part-time for 4 to 8 hours per day depending on what I needed to do (PT = 2 or 3 days/week). It's good for their social skills (in my opinion) to play around other kids, and it's good for the mental break for mom. When the baby comes, you will appreciate this even more. Trust me. Been there. And you'll want the bonding time between you and baby#2.

SmallvilleMom said...

Maya is doing the same thing so you're definitely not alone. They are getting closer to the infamous terrible 2's and showing it. Maya was an extra "treat" this afternoon at lunch so I can sympathize with your plight. I'll pray for patience (do the same for me) and some sleep for you, and Eli.

Chris and Emily said...

Hi. I ran across your blog a while back through another blog and check it from time to time. Your little guy is a few months older than mine so I'm not quite where you are but know we are heading there.(especially in the diaper changing department)!! Hang in there.
I wanted to write you because I notice you occasionaly spotlight some worthwhile charities. A friend of mine just sent me a link to a company called tinyrockstar.com - they sell some pretty adorable "alternative" t-shirts in my opion and half the profit goes to a charity supporting families in Uganda, Africa. Cute shirts, great cause. Based on a few of your pics I've seen I thought you might like the shirts for Eli. We will probably get Cort a few.

Heather said...

We have been there and at times are there. Ryan is doing ok with the "terrible twos" they really haven't been all they were said to be. All that to say .. "this too shall pass". I know we all want it to "pass" quickly. The moment seems long but looking back it's not as long as we thought. You will remember the good times and not these hard ones.

We are also looking for a good school/pre-school for Ryan. Hopefully we will be able to find one soon.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you guys are going through this rough phase. Remember that it is a phase and it will pass and then you'll have some fun time...and then more bad phase and so forth. I hope you get some relief soon, at least for a little while. I know it can feel so difficult and long when you feel like you're at the end of your rope. Hope you have a great weekend. Let Daddy take Eli for a bit and take a BREAK.