Monday, April 02, 2007

Don't Make Me Count To Three....

Eli is not letting up on the temper tantrums, but he is starting to realize that it's my way or the highway, so that's something. Twice today he 'tried' me and threw a tantrum when I gave him instruction, but once he realized I was not budging he gave in (though begrudgingly).

First thing this morning I changed his diaper and then let him play in his room (door closed with me in there too) while I pulled his clothes out. When he pushed 'Mater to the door and asked "please" (as in he wanted out of his room) I told him, "Yes, but first we have to put your clothes on." He stamped his feet and said "noooooo" with his furrowed brow and pursed lips in response. I sat back and waited. He then pushed 'Mater to me and signed "please" so I pulled his shirt over his head while he babbled on about something.

The second time was right before his nap. We were in his room playing and he eventually went to his crib and signed "please" (as in he wanted to be in his crib with his blanket because he was exhausted). I told him, "Sure, but we have to change your diaper first." Same reaction as this morning, but even more animated and loud. After about a minute of me remaining by the changing pad he pouted his way over and sat down so I could change him. Not quite obedience "all the way, right away and with a happy heart", but one out of three ain't bad!

4 comments:

Mama Stina said...

It seems that this is the age that our little angels become outright impish. I think you've got a good handle on the situation, and that you'll raise a well mannered little man.

Damselfly said...

Wow, he's getting so big and individual! ;) I think when my baby hits that tantrum phase, I'm going to need to drink some Red Bull energy drinks to keep up....

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Anonymous said...

It's interesting to see them test their boundaries at this age. It's like the finally give up and say "Fine. I'll do what you want, but I had to voice my opinion first."

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that picture - priceless! Alex is starting to do the same thing!