Monday, April 10, 2006

Cheerios

This weekend I bought Eli his first toothbrush. He's been chewing on everything in frustration over teething, so I figured why not help his oral hygiene at the same time? (Actually I though, 'My fingers need a break...what can I give him that is similar in size?'.) Eli looooves the toothbrush. He chews on it and sings at the same time as if to say "Haaa-llelujah!"; it obviously feels really good on his gums.

Eli's latest trick is manipulating Cheerios. I introduced them on Saturday and it's been a riot to watch him learn. Eli has still not perfected his pincer grasp, so for the first day all he did was push the little O's around on his chair tray. This activity kept him entertained for quite some time; it was as though he thought they were moving on their own, rather than moving because he pushed them. He was so intense in his pursuit! He's getting better; he can get them into his palm more often now, and every once in a while one will end up in his mouth. He's been practicing with baby puffs for a few weeks now, but they are a little larger, so the Cheerios have proven to be more difficult to pick up.

As I type, Eli is sitting on the floor next to me with a pile of toys untouched. He is swinging his arms up and down and then shoving his fists into his mouth as he giggles and smiles his huge snaggletooth (still only one!) grin, oblivious to the fact that he is the only one that gets the joke.

No comments: