Wednesday, December 09, 2015

Patience

Proverbs 19:21  Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.

How true. So many times during Ruby's treatment I find myself agitated, frustrated, anxious, downright MAD that things aren't moving faster (usually having to do with the lack of speed for the day's scheduled procedures rather than the speed of her actual treatment). And every time, while I feel justified in the moment, I do recognize that my frustration comes more from my desire for MY schedule and timetable to take precedence. 

I will usually talk myself out of some of this, thinking 'surely waiting 4+ hours at an appointment for anything to start is not the Lord's purpose.' But then I am reminded that it actually might be. Maybe I will have an interaction that leads someone (maybe even me!) to a deeper relationship with God. Maybe Ruby's presence in the hospital or clinic that day will impact someone in a way I can't even imagine.

Or maybe God is trying to grow me in the area of patience. Again. Can't imagine why since I obviously am still struggling with it so much.


Updates: This morning Ruby and I entered the Aflac Unit through the clinic (standard procedure). After we saw her doctors in the clinic, she was hooked up to her chemo at 2PM, which was the earliest start we've had yet! She then napped for a bit, but we did not get moved to our room until after 6PM. Insert need for patience here :) 

This round (#4) is the same chemo as round one and three, with the absence of one chemo drug (can't remember the name). Ruby will be on a continuous drip for 96 hours, and she will receive two liquid doses of chemo each day. 

All of Ruby's blood work is good; her numbers are satisfying the doctors in every way they can. This is the final round of Ruby's "induction" phase of chemo treatment (inducing remission). After this, she will have only two rounds left. We are officially at the halfway point of treatment! Only time will tell if this second half is longer or shorter than the first, but it's a milestone and I will gladly take it!

No comments: