Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Perfect Gentleman

While Maddux was wheeling Lehr around the dance floor on Friday night during their Father-Daughter dance, Eli and I went on a casual dinner date. We often talk about holding doors open for people, offering a seat before you sit, etc, but we are not so good about practicing those manners. I thought this would be a 'non-nagging' time for me to work on Eli. He was able to see Maddux shower and fix her hair and clothing for her date, he saw Daddy do the same (minus the hair), so he opted for a shower and nice collared shirt as well.

Once in the car, I started talking about how the date would go with Maddux and Lehr. Daddy brought home flowers for his date, which I told Eli was a nice gesture to show a date. I also told him that if (when?!?!) Maddux goes on a date while she still lives in our house, the boy will come over to meet us and ask Daddy's permission to take Maddux to dinner or to a movie. Eli learned that Daddy had to do that when he asked me on a date, and it's a respectful thing to do.

When we arrived at the restaurant, I reminded Eli that it's polite for the boy to open the door for his date, so he got out and came around to the driver's side to open my door for me. (I'd purposely parked in a very safe place away from other cars or traffic.) We had a great dinner, and Eli never forgot to open the door for me the rest of the night, even when we got out of the car at on a quick errand after dinner. I do love that boy!

No comments: