Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Like An Otter

Eli loves to swim. He's had great success with it this year, aided by one set of lessons during the cold months and a 3-week summer session with the same instructor he had last year. Although his form still leaves much to be desired, he is really into it, and he's come amazingly far. Mostly just by being around so many kids that are swimming. The stuff he picked up happened outside of lessons, but the lessons definitely strengthened his skill set. The one area he never really succeeded in was the back float. Every time Eli's been in a class, for two years now, he lies on his back, but then immediately starts to kick his feet or try to stand up. It's the whole falling feeling, I guess.

Fast forward to this morning when I took the kids to the pool. I suggested that Eli practice his front float, flip to his back. (He really got good at that this summer, even though he barely flipped to his back before he'd stand up.) Eli obliged and shocked me. He not only kept his head in my hand for more than a second, he didn't move a muscle and totally floated on his own. Yeah.....but I had my hand there, right? We did it again without any help from me and the same thing. Like an empty sponge he just hung out on top of the water for a LONG time. I made him do it again and again.....I was so excited! I have no clue what brought this on since we haven't been to the pool in about a week, but I'm loving his new confidence in this area!

No comments: