Thursday, December 07, 2006

Lessons to Teach

There are so many things I want to teach Eli. I often worry that I missed my window for starting to teach him things or instill certain values in him. I always wanted to teach him to sign and that's worked so far, but I also wanted to teach him French. So far that hasn't happened at all, but in my defense, he hasn't picked up on English very well either.

Growing up I was my own person for the most part. Sure there were times when I followed the crowd and times when I wanted certain CD's or clothing because other kids did, but all in all I flew my freak flag and I was ok with it. That is something Lehr and I really want to teach Eli: it's ok to be who you are. PLEASE don't follow the mass herds of sheep milling around on MTV and in LA as they try so hard to be 'in' and accepted. PLEASE don't mindlessly regurgitate what the kids at school say and try to pass it off as your own original thoughts. PLEASE think for yourself about what you believe and who you are.

In summary, this is what I want to teach Eli:
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic quote. Thanks for a great post!

Anonymous said...

Both of my children have speech delays and I made the mistake with my son of underestimating the amount he was absorbing. Now that he's talking- he's telling me about places and people from waaay before I thought things were really clicking! It's crazy :-)

My biggest worry is that they'll remember the bad moments and not the good. Motherhood is so learn as you go, and highsight is painfully clear.

Anonymous said...

I love that quote! This is such a sweet and touching post.

I know as parents we feel a huge sense of responsibility for teaching our children certain things. More often than not, I think kids learn through experience and example. One of my favorite quotes is:

Learning is not a product of schooling but the lifelong attempt to acquire it. (Albert Einstein)

Anonymous said...

Probably the most important lesson of them all.

I'm glad to wave my freak flag...is that from that movie? I envision Owen Wilson saying it...it was the best part of the whole movie.